A collection of inspiration...

by - Friday, February 19, 2010


Some people collect a particular artist's work or themed brick-a-brack, like say as Georgia O'Keeffe or painted rooster ceramics. Others collect vintage postcards, first-edition books, or sports memorabilia. One of my collections is simply comprised of clipped magazine photos, spanning more than 20 years. They are from fashion, food, lifestyle and interior design publications, all with one thing in common...

They inspire me in one way or another.
For every designer, the creative process is something that evolves individually, born from one's perception of media and environment. Depending upon what my mind is seeking at any given time, say for instance, color coordinates, that is what I will react to first when I flip open a magazine page. The creator's mind just winds up being trained to do that. So this begins the process. Becoming inspired by the colors, then I notice the mood in the picture. It might be romantic, or modern, nautical or ethnic. If I really like what I see and my mind reacts positively, I clip it! Thus adds to the massive archive available for my disposal when I embark on a new design project. I always combine imagery from the past to seamlessly blend with the currents of the present. That is how I keep things unique... Moving into the future with an eye on the past. In lifestyle and fashion trends, everything is cyclical, especially evident now. I mean, look at how long we have been reviving the 80's!
Today's media, whether it be in printed publications, video or internet venues, supplies so much information, it can be staggering. Researching current articles and sifting through is a time consuming activity and can be daunting if the ultimate goal is vague. What a designer needs to keep in mind at the inception is the ultimate end-use for the design... and an open mind... Maybe the image has a particular pattern that reminds me of a pendant I purchased overseas or leather cording readily available. Whatever has attracted my attention, I always feel it's necessary to utilize this for the development of my latest projects. The focus is deliberate and meaningful, so I incorporate all the elements of inspiration to produce an interesting new direction... After all, one needs a starting point, even if it will evolve as the design process unfolds and develops...



Lots of food for thought... xoxo-Sonya

You May Also Like

0 comments


© 2021 Sonya Marie Fitzmaurice - A little something ®. All Rights Reserved.