For Love...

by - Saturday, February 13, 2010

One Saturday afternoon about four years ago, I happened upon a tag sale with one of my girlfriends. I must admit I am torn at these events. While part of me enjoys scavenging through someones old trash to find a treasure, another part is saddened by the obsolescence of one’s life. The person who lived here was someone special, someone who was celebrated and admired during their lifetime.
At this particular sale, my eye was drawn to a simple wooden frame perched above a fireplace in the family room. I went closer and began to study the image. The penciled words were in an amateur calligraphic hand, on tracing paper, with a colored Baroque scroll design, faded over time on the left. Silly as it may seem, as I read the passage, my eyes swelled and I began to cry. My friend thought I was a bit mad, showing such emotion for just a bunch of scribbled words. But they touched me, deeply... And after I toured the entire home and searched its contents for sale, I returned to the family room before we left. I bought that framed treasure and it now sits in its new home... on the wall in our foyer, above the antiqued marriage certificate I gave my husband as a first anniversary gift.
It reads:
"And in marriage, let your wine mix and your sweet fragrance blend and your voices sing in harmony.
And when the day is warm let the petals of your souls open so that the precious perfume of your flowers may fill up the air.
For when autumn comes your flower will dry up, but your sweet fragrance will still be in the air, and the sound of the trumpets of your hearts will gladden the hearts of those who are waiting for their round to drink from the wine of God and to walk on the paths which your feet have trod."
I have since tried to find the origins of these words, but without any luck. So much to wonder about...
Was this a wedding token or perhaps an anniversary gift? It was obviously handmade... by a daughter, sister or close friend? Even though I may never know its background, the sentimentality displayed will live on, admired by a new family and friends, visitors who share the pleasure of their company in our home...
Wishing everyone a loving and sentimental Valentine's Day...
xoxo-Sonya

You May Also Like

0 comments


© 2021 Sonya Marie Fitzmaurice - A little something ®. All Rights Reserved.