My daughter, my muse...

by - Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Some things so obvious light the mind like the flash of a camera in your eye...

When running your own business, especially a one-woman operation, you're always working - thinking, planning, plotting. Creating one-of-a-kind jewelry is a huge undertaking itself, so finding ways to brand and market that product can easily become a 24/7 job. Facebook, Instagram, Twitterall social media venues today play a crucial part in sharing talent, engaging new customers, adding to your tribe. How to achieve a creative, cohesive, stylish image across the board on a savvy, modest budget is the quandary. 



Jewelry and art-to-wear needs to be photographed well to sell. Creating a mood and look are part of the business. My eureka moment came in the middle of one night several months ago. I asked my daughter to sit for a photo shoot. I knew it was going to be a great adventure, one we would have to launch before she moved back to campus. I had some thoughts, and we discussed a few basic ideas before we got started.


If you know me, everything needed to be planned ahead. Even though I am wearing many hats as designer, stylist and photographer, I didn't want to waste Brenna's time being unprepared. With my trusted Cannon, a tripod (because for professional looking photographs your hand needs to be still), an inexpensive color backdrop found on Ebay, some tape to keep it in place on the wall and a small stool, we were ready to roll! 

Brenna is a fabulous make-up artist, so I left that in her hands and went to work ironing tops and pairing jewelry to include in the session. It took us about two and a half hours to snap over 500 pictures! We just kept going! After some cropping and tweaking on Photoshop, here's the updated Lookbook page on A little something's website.


Of all those shots, just a few were discarded for being out of focus or weird. What a treasure trove! The natural light in the family room created a perfect studio. There was no need for any additional lamp or lighting, we just worked with the afternoon sunshine filtering into the room through the curtains. It really was perfect.


The results were far more fabulous than I ever imagined, and I am so grateful to showcase my work on my most precious creation, my daughter, my muse... xoxo-Sonya

You May Also Like

0 comments


© 2021 Sonya Marie Fitzmaurice - A little something ®. All Rights Reserved.