A good egg...

by - Monday, March 11, 2013

With an overload of craft projects, recipes, gardening ideas and too many others to mention, the internet is an amazing tool, but it can also easily become overwhelming! Some ideas gain popularity due to the season and can breathe new life into traditional arts with simplicity. Take egg dying, for example. Easter is swiftly approaching and one family tradition is the ritual decorating of eggs. I happened to see an article in the March issue of Relish magazine for "Tie-Dyed" Easter Eggs. My natural curiosity prompted me to search on the internet where I found Martha Stewart's directions for creating cleverly pretty patterned eggs with minimal effort. All you need is some printed silk fabric or thrift store silk neckties, vinegar, water and of course, the eggs. I tried it. Let me show you what I came up with...
Starting with a selection of printed silk fabric remnants, I cut each silk print into a round or square piece large enough to wrap around a raw egg.
Wrapping a raw egg with a piece of silk, make sure the printed side of the material is facing the egg. Silk can still be used if it doesn't fit perfectly around the egg. If you are using neckties, simply cut them open at the seam and in pieces big enough to wrap. Secure each with a rubber band.
Place the silk-wrapped egg in a piece of white sheet, pillowcase, or old tablecloth and secure tightly with more rubber bands. I had some muslin so I cut it into strips and wrapped the eggs all around. Now they are ready to cook and color. Place the eggs in a pot filled with water to cover the eggs completely. Add three tablespoons of white vinegar. Bring the water to a boil, cover, and turn the heat down to a simmer for about 20 - 25 minutes. Remove the eggs from the water carefully with tongs because it will still be hot. Let them cool completely and then remove the fabric "cocoon".


VOILA! These came out a bit lighter than I thought, but the pattern transfer is beautiful! This was certainly a successful trial run. When my daughter and I make more in a couple of weeks, we'll try silk neckties to supply the patterns for that batch.
So easy, really. No dipping and rolling in colors that splash all over cracked shells. Cooked and colored in one pot... Yes, I can say that's a good egg. xoxo-Sonya

You May Also Like

0 comments


© 2021 Sonya Marie Fitzmaurice - A little something ®. All Rights Reserved.