Will the real Sarah Moon please stand...

by - Wednesday, January 27, 2010

My fascination started with the huge wall plaque displayed prominently in our bedroom, simply signed 'Sarah Moon'. My mom and I purchased it way back the early 80's at Two Guys and I have kept her all these years. She is sensual, mysterious... and reminiscent of the 20's, one of my favorite time periods. Her name is Claudia.
During my very first trip to Paris in December of '86 , I perused the street vendors and happened to find two more treasures - small enameled illustrations simply mounted on cardboard, unnamed, bearing resemblance to the 'Sarah Moon' I already owned. I snatched them up and brought them home. But I was curious... Did these ladies have names? And were all of these illustrations of women actually by the famous Sarah Moon? My quest began...
Turns out, these illustrations have nothing to do with the famous photographer, as I had originally assumed.

Born in 1941, Sarah Moon is known for her stunning fashion imagery. She began working as a model from 1960-1966 and only picked up a camera in 1970. She currently lives in Paris, France and has received a number of prestgious awards for her work over the years... "After all these years, people hire me because they want my impression," she says, "they know what I do. I know how difficult it is to make a living as a fashion photographer, however, and, with so many photographers now working, it is harder than ever to believe in your own vision, to listen to your own voice. That, though, is what any good photographer must do. That, in the end, is what it is all about. You have to listen to your own voice, to work for yourself, and accept that it will make a difference."

The illustrations of Claudia, Gypsy Girl and Charlotte were done on commission by Persian artist, Bijan for Red Baron Publishing of Los Angeles during the late 70's & early 80's. The name was simply signed on the pieces in an effort to gain validity. Now I understood... The similar sensuality and mood depicted in both mediums by each artist led to my assumption and confusion.

Despite being two entirely different artists, they are both my favorites. I was recently looking for a special and unique way to showcase the small enameled images I purchased over 20 years ago. I decided to incorporate them in a heart shaped mosaic, this way, the 'Sarah Moon' illustrations would become focal in the piece. Both enamels are surrounded by alabaster and gold bone china, suspended from a silk jaquard ribbon.
Now, the space on our wall is graced with a lovely reminder of beauty that is always in fashion... xoxo-Sonya

You May Also Like

0 comments


© 2021 Sonya Marie Fitzmaurice - A little something ®. All Rights Reserved.