Sandy beach and blue shoreline...

by - Wednesday, July 03, 2019

"Oh, mommy, here's another one!" 


My daughter dropping each one into the sandcastle pail, our hunt for these small tokens became a ritual producing many souvenirs over the years. So many pretty soft-colored shells, each one naturally tumbled to smooth perfection in nature’s hands. I’ve always loved them. The more obscure, the greater the find. Now my sidekick collects keepsakes of her college adventures. 


I remember we would hop in the car, navy and white stripe bag in tow, traveling down to the Jersey shore for the day. It was always a treat! Our destination was usually Point Pleasant, the relatively shorter distance and familiarity we fancied. Long lazy walks along the coast, hand in hand, oblivious of time, the coveted gift of a languid summer. At sunset, we would climb the rocks as waves crashed and teased us from the other side. We often spotted an entire area of shells to explore from the bluff. They looked like tiny islands along the stretch of water, colors fused into a harmonious blur of sandy beach and blue shoreline. An archipelago to pursue. 


My daughter found this beautiful natural seashell during one of our many trips. I saved it for years until components created would be worthy of its union. With the characteristic striping and seemingly hand-cut loop in the center, its asymmetric shape is surprisingly balanced. My trusted Dremel carefully drilled the tiny holes into the shell pendant, requiring a steady hand and prayer since countless pieces have cracked in the process before. Time has certainly taught me patience and prudence. Then I sealed it completely with three coats of clear acrylic. I lampworked accompanying beads using glass rod colors Avorio, Atlantis Blue, peridot, and ivory that vitrified to perfection in the flame. All are strung with alternating tiny silver floral spacers on buff-colored natural leather cording, braided at the ends, and a sturdy magnetic closure at the back.


I have faithfully kept the tradition she started for my jewelry many years ago – to give each necklace a name. Finishing this unique token, the memories warm me, and I cannot help but smile. Archipelago brings me back to the sand and salt water, islands of time spent on the shore with my girl.
xoxo-Sonya

You May Also Like

0 comments


© 2021 Sonya Marie Fitzmaurice - A little something ®. All Rights Reserved.