Fresh ink...

by - Monday, December 11, 2017

Many times I surprise myself.

I have always been fascinated with body art. And it is a true art form for there are exquisite examples to behold in multitude these days. Tattoos are no longer reserved for the biker boys and babes, they are part of today's mainstream culture. Ear piercing is so passé. Besides, I already have two in each ear.

Shyly creating a Pinterest board over a year ago of inspiring tats, a desire swelled for my own mark of self expression with each pinned image. Maybe a simple script, three words, on my inner forearm, just for me to see. Once I honed in on what I really wanted, the next bold step was to find who would do it.


Most tattoo artists have Instagram accounts, so when I did a serious hashtag search for lettering and script tattoos, results were encouraging. Narrowed down to my vicinity, an artist at Afflicted Ink popped up as a promising possibility and positive spirit. But was I really ready for this? Can I actually go through with it? Before I could change my mind, I found myself behind the wheel on the road to the parlor in Lyndhurst.

The minute I walked in, I was greeted by Sarah Murphy, the artist herself, and immediately knew this was the right decision. She was warm and easy to talk with from the beginning. We had to schedule the ink for another day in the week, so my secret plan needed guarding a little longer. To say excitement was bubbling in me would be an understatement. Only Sarah knew about this milestone to christen my virgin skin. 


Back at the parlor that Thursday, after signing the customary waiver, we sat down and Sarah designed the image on her laptop. We discussed the font, she instinctively knew the size for the area, and once the words were printed on transfer paper, she positioned it perfectly and started on my first tattoo.

Did it hurt? Yes, but it went so smooth, I was amazed with my bold nonchalance. In between short intervals of pin pricks as Sarah painted the words, she paused to wipe the stencil ink away in reprieve. We talked and laughed all the while, and time passed quickly, a total of twenty minutes under the needle.


Once Sarah finished and went over after-care, I was home in time to finish dinner, ready to surprise Robert. After all, I did warn him long ago about coming home with a tattoo one day. He knows I am a woman of her word.


This is my mantra: Light, bright, free... on my arm as a daily reminder of how to travel through life. 

Friends in the club have been warning me to be cautious, these are addictive. Am I planning more? Oh yeah, I believe at some point I'll get more fresh ink... xoxo-Sonya

You May Also Like

0 comments


© 2021 Sonya Marie Fitzmaurice - A little something ®. All Rights Reserved.