Arts and maps...

by - Friday, November 04, 2016

It was as if nature handed me a day pass, telling me to get out and enjoy. How was it known what I really needed? This sunny, crisp mild weather is restoring, energizing. So with Android in hand, I typed in the destination, grabbed a water bottle, slung the camera over my shoulder and stepped up into the Explorer. 


I already missed the comprehensive fall palette. Many of the trees have lost their leaves, but there is still a stunning burst of peppered color... turmeric, cumin, curry. Those trees in the distance resemble heads of seasoned baked cauliflower! The winding ride on 9W was absolutely beautiful. Driving along either side of the road, north or south, just around a major bend, you come upon this incredible vista that just takes your breath away. Lucky for me to be driving the truck sitting a little higher as not to miss it. It's all trees lining the sides of the mountains down the valley. I was a few moments short of pulling onto the established shoulder to take in the vastness when I drove past. Oh well, I would be able to see it again on the ride back. The ride up to Storm King is part of the whole day trip experience.


 Pyramidian, 1987/1998 by Mark Di Suvero


The last time here was with Brenna on a hot summer day. Her recollection is dominated by the high heat of that afternoon, but I knew I would travel back here at some point. Visiting an outdoor art center, you are part of nature and part of the art. Looking at the scope of the surroundings compared to size and spacial relationship, the personal interpretation is subjective to what you are looking for, how you see what is before you, and how it all makes you feel.


Leaves fall in my path while the gentle breeze caresses my face. The trees are losing their shade, but the color left is bright in the sun and provide ample opportunity for me to use my old school Canon. Storm King Art Center, endowed in 1960, began simply with the Normandy-style stone Museum Building and a formal garden. The colossal sculptures started the permanent collection in 1972.


Glancing at the map received upon entrance, whatever path you take, there is so much to see. The park is seamlessly divided into the North Woods, Museum Hill, South Fields and the Meadows. I just picked a direction, and let my feet take me along, sometimes crossing fields to see the art a little closer.


There are many children running about, groups of them squealing with delight up and down the hills in the beautiful autumn air. They must enjoying guided tours of class trips from nearby schools. What a great day for this! Against the sweeping background of Storm King Mountain, this 500 acre park is one of the world's famous sculpture museums where the collection of over one hundred pieces have found a home by some of the most renown artists dating from the 1960s to the present.


Orbit, 1972 by Jerome Kirk


Enjoying the numerous opportunities to sit and absorb the day, here it is easy to feel presence of moment, experiencing something outside of yourself. Between the vastness of the landscape and enormity of the art, it is humbling and exhilarating at the same time.


The Arch, 1975 by Alexander Calder



Mirror Fence, 2003 (refabricated 2014) by Alyson Shotz


Three Legged Buddha, 2007 by Zhang Huan


Measures by Josephine Halvorson


Electric Kiss, 2008 by Dennis Oppenheim



 Arts and maps... What a wonderful way to spend this autumn day...xoxo-Sonya

You May Also Like

0 comments


© 2021 Sonya Marie Fitzmaurice - A little something ®. All Rights Reserved.