Honoring dear ol' dad...

by - Saturday, June 18, 2011

It's only when you grow up, and step back from him, or leave him for your own career and your own home – it's only then that you can measure his greatness and fully appreciate it. Pride reinforces love. 
~ Margaret Truman

It took a woman to push for the first Father's Day celebration through a national campaign to establish the holiday. Her name was Sonora Smart Dodd and in 1910, the very first Father's Day was celebrated in Spokane, Washington at their church. Dads present were gifted with red roses; white roses were worn by those with deceased fathers. But it was not until 1966 when President Johnson set the official holiday for the third Sunday in June as we will celebrate this weekend, followed by Nixon signing the permanent law in 1972. That was some journey for the commemoration of fatherhood!

My dad is an immigrant from Croatia, becoming a US citizen shortly after he arrived. Though close friends and family often enjoy my comic impression of his heavy accent and European disposition, we know he is a strong and iconic man. He has shown me hard work is necessary to succeed and providing for your family is top priority. Growing up I recall he was always at work, many times my mother appearing to be a single parent with regards to my nurturing. Now an adult woman married to a devoted husband, I can witness both my daughter's father and my own dad through mature eyes. This continuing circle of life quietly invokes a new appreciation of the vocation of fatherhood twofold.
A very Happy and Blessed Father's Day to my dad and my husband... And to all the special fathers who give so much of themselves to their families and loved ones everyday...
In honor of dear ol' dad... Enjoy your day! xoxo-Sonya

You May Also Like

0 comments


© 2021 Sonya Marie Fitzmaurice - A little something ®. All Rights Reserved.