Fairy Godmothers...

by - Monday, March 14, 2011

I think, at a child's birth, if a mother could ask a fairy godmother to endow it with the most useful gift, that gift should be curiosity. ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

Everyone should have a fairy godmother. Someone to gift you with magical moments. The events needn't be elaborate tricks of hand or earth moving spectacles. All they need to do is leave a lasting impression in your memory for years to come...

Many choices are made for children upon their birth. Names are selected by parents as well as two godparents. Traditionally, the godparents were counted informally responsible for ensuring that the child's religious education was carried out, and caring for the child should he/she be orphaned. By modern definition, a godparent is a chosen individual who takes a vested interest in raising a more complete human being. This task is accomplished in many different ways, all dependant, of course, upon the relationship established.
I always believed Louise was a very special godparent, my very own 'fairy godmother'. She continually gave me perceptive advice with an unending grace and passion for life. She taught me not to be afraid, to be curious. She encouraged me to take life's good and bad times all in stride, working hard, always truly thankful. With St. Patty's Day this week, I am reminded of another magical thing she taught me - how to make a truly delectable Irish Soda Bread! She passed her recipe on...
I baked five Irish Soda breads for the week in an effort to share this custom with my family and friends celebrating. In the simple act of breaking bread, Louise lives on in this tradition. Her memory and magic still make up a part of who I am today. I loved her very much and will always thank God for the many wonderful years shared with my fairy godmother...
A very Happy and Blessed St. Patrick's Day to all... xoxo-Sonya

You May Also Like

0 comments


© 2021 Sonya Marie Fitzmaurice - A little something ®. All Rights Reserved.