Eat... Relax... Recharge...

by - Wednesday, January 12, 2011

How many times have you stood over the kitchen sink scoffing a so-called meal? Never? Once a week? Why dirty a plate when you can pop leftovers in the microwave for a minute? I am guilty for sure!
Skimping on the pleasure of a sit-down-at-the-table meal, albeit amid a hectic schedule, is a mistake many of us make in an effort to save time. But what we need to realize are the sincere mind and body benefits of slowing down, taking time to consume a meal, savoring the ingredients. 

Eat... Relax... Recharge...

My method of cooking has developed over the years into a melange of Sandra Lee (semi-homemade), Julia Child (gourmet), and Rachel Ray (quick and flavorful). Sometimes I start from scratch and create something really wonderful, yet other times, especially if caught up with work and the necessities of the day, Hamburger Helper is more than a good friend, he can be a lifesaver. I have a 12 year old to feed!
So in an effort to 1) swiftly jump into a new book (remember my New Year intentions) 2) stimulate my mind with wit and humor of a different genre and 3) revive my palette with some European flavor, I enjoyed Lunch in Paris with Elizabeth Bard.
I've already tasted Mireille Guiliano's French Women Don't Get Fat and the sequel, French Women for All Seasons, both filled with sophisticated native recipes. Lunch in Paris is a bit different though. It is Elizabeth's personal story of falling in love, redefining success and discovering what it truly means to be at home. 
Her journey is chronicled with recipes, each one her tried and true version of the classics and tasteful new revelations. Stimulating your senses, it is a satisfying, straightforward read, dotted with much humor and truth. I like Elizabeth Bard. Reading her book, I feel like she's a really good friend... who happens to make a surprisingly simple and decadent chocolate souffle! She inspires you to surrender to the sensual  experience of cooking, because after all, the kitchen is at the heart of home. Food is entwined with our emotions, evoking memories, bringing comfort. It's okay to try, to taste, to experiment. Food is life.
I recommend you experience Lunch in Paris... eat, relax, recharge...
xoxo-Sonya

You May Also Like

0 comments


© 2021 Sonya Marie Fitzmaurice - A little something ®. All Rights Reserved.