A clean slate...

by - Thursday, December 30, 2010

"On the way to what you planned to happen, something even better comes along." ~Janice Endique
A clean slate is right here on the table in front of me.

As I open up a pristine, shrink-wrapped calendar, 2011 is a fresh start. Flipping through the unmarked pages, the year before me beckons to be written. Complying, I usually start by adding in all the dates to remember, monthly birthdays and anniversaries, special events I can quickly recall like tiny post-it notes in my brain. If not deliberately written down, there is the strong probability it will become a distant memory, I'm reluctant to admit. After all the necessaries, it is time to take a few minutes to envision the larger picture...
What will I set out to accomplish in this year ahead?
The new year is traditionally a time to make resolutions, lists of what we will do and what we vow not to for betterment of our lives. Goals and priorities are set as we embark on "new and improved" ways of dealing with our health, home and the workplace. "Out with the old" can mean different things to each of us whether in regards to negligent eating habits, simplifying our environment or decluttering our spiritual space. As I glance through the slim January issues of my subscribed magazines, pages are saturated with white images, tips on how to "free up space and bring cool, calm order to your rooms", suggested charitable venues and ads for storage in various sizes.
OK, so the first item on my list will be to pack up the holiday decorations for next year. But that is on your list every year, Sonya...
I know... get back to reading at least one book a month would be the next since my craving for literature has been prodding me with a vengeance! Must set time aside for that each day...
Painting and redecorating the family room will take priority on the list too. Where should we put the couch? Do we want to pick a slightly brighter color for the walls this time around?
But after that I will need a quieting hot cup of tea, some uninterrupted time and my trusty purple pen and pad. Now is the time to get serious and set the new intentions... 
Ah, at the very top of the list will be to continually enjoy every day. Nurture peace within so that it can radiate out to all...
After all, a new year lets us begin again with a clean slate to write new chapters, filling each page with heart and soul... xoxo-Sonya

You May Also Like

0 comments


© 2021 Sonya Marie Fitzmaurice - A little something ®. All Rights Reserved.