From delicate to deco...

by - Friday, August 20, 2010

She was ready.

We talked about it for a whole year, but I knew that now was the time...to transform my daughter's bedroom. As a mother, with this comes the realization that my little girl is inevitably growing up. Ahhhh... My work was cut out for me with the project. But, yes, I was ready too...

Twelve years ago, fresh buttercup yellow walls and a trail of pink roses along the ceiling had Peter Rabbit hopping into a delicate garden of Beatrix Potter in her nursery. Gradually, the flowers were plucked away to make room for a pine bed, Jonas Brothers pictures, Hello Kitty and Get Fuzzy comics. The cottage setting was quickly shrinking as the clothes in her closet. She needed a better fit...
And so my project began... Not only did we infuse the room with aqua, but all the furniture gained a new breath (it was my husband's childhood furniture previously in our guestroom) with three coats of fresh paint in a deco revival.
My daughter selected all the colors for the room... the walls are Behr's Cloudless... the furniture base color is Ultimate White with blocked accents of California Lilac and Cool Aloe. We found nickel swirl hardware for all the drawers as a special finishing touch. 
Scouring moving sales in the area, we managed to pick up a 1977 A&S swivel chair for $7, computer desk for a mere $10 and side table for $20, all I re-upholstered and re-painted to match. Sanding, spackling, sewing, painting and more painting... with all this work, the result was well worth the effort. Brenna now has a space that fits her tween personality with room to grow. 
We added paper lanterns above her bed, and the suite of four Chinese cat prints I purchased on my first trip to Hong Kong found a new home showcased above the headboard. I framed her favorite Kingdom Hearts poster (the colors worked so perfect!) with extra wall space to display her future artwork. By her request, I painted the closet doors white so that she has a blank canvas for the mural she wants to design later this year. 
Saying goodbye floral and hello funky has created refreshing room to grow, so she can blossom into the creative dynamo she is destined to be...
I love her so much! ... xoxo-Sonya

You May Also Like

0 comments


© 2021 Sonya Marie Fitzmaurice - A little something ®. All Rights Reserved.