Twenty years ago today...

by - Wednesday, May 31, 2017

It was over twenty years ago we planned my becoming the time traveler's wifeIf you aren't familiar with the story of how Robert and I met, you can read my earlier blog post. Some things only happen once in a lifetime, chronicled to be savored along with the snapshot memories.

On this milestone anniversary today, join me for a trip down memory lane, revisiting the creativity and craft endowed for our big day those years ago.


Our classic engraved invitations were wrapped in gold scallop-edged rice paper, tied with double satin ribbon and gold ring. I sewed the ring pillow of the same cream silk and lace as my wedding gown.


From sketch to muslin and ultimately the finished creation, my design came to life in a mere four months! I spent countless nights designing, sewing, and embroidering my wedding ensemble that consisted of double-ply silk crepe, re-embroidered lace, pearls, and handmade silk rosettes. To maintain the trumpet gore shape at the bottom of the gown, I inconspicuously incorporated light horsehair braid into the sweeping hemline.


The veil was engineered to be detachable from the lace headband at back, leaving a bouquet of silk fabric roses at the nape of the neck. The train was detachable as well, simply basted on for our ceremony, quickly cut away for the reception.


Would you know this was a willow basket? I covered the flower girl accessory in the same silk, pearls and lace as my gown. A profusion of tiny ribbons graced the sides.


In an effort to be original, for the reception centerpieces I porcelain-dipped silk flowers set in clouds of fresh eucalyptus and baby's breath, with accenting gold trimmed organza ribbon. The center candle was hand sculpted spiral wax in ivory.


The ivory ceremony programs and reception menus both echoed the invitation rice paper, this time the patterning in a rich green. Birdseed packets were distributed at church for our departure.


Guests were intrigued by the adorned birdcage set on the table for gifts. With a garland of the same porcelain-dipped flowers and greenery as the centerpieces, a pair of white doves watched atop the house on a perch of eucalyptus.


Guests acquired a token of the day - velvet-trimmed books of love quotes, wrapped in cream scripted paper, tied with organza and a wax seal card to commemorate the date.




Twenty years ago today... Happy Anniversary to us! xoxo-Sonya

You May Also Like

0 comments


© 2021 Sonya Marie Fitzmaurice - A little something ®. All Rights Reserved.