Sailing into Sunday morning...

by - Friday, April 19, 2013

I have definitely become a Pinterest junkie. There is no turning back and I have every intention to sail ahead with my quest - discovering anything I can. So many of the photos on the site stir all of my creative juices, and some of the recipes in particular are simply divine. Many already pinned and prepared, I often don't follow the original recipe to the fullest, substituting ingredients with whatever is available. This enables us to feast on diversity in creation of my own version. One earlier pin landed me at Spoon Fork Bacon. This site features straightforward recipes following the process step by step along with beautiful inspiring photos. It is a great site to browse as a fresh alternative to Recipes.com, and you can find some delicious dishes, everything from a routine weeknight dinner to an afternoon brunch with friends.

One recipe I have been anxious to try is Baked Egg Boats. This delight I like to describe as quiche baked in a crusty loaf of bread. Not only is it impressive on the table, but I can assure you there will not be any crumbs left soon after it is set out! I substituted the sourdough bread and heavy cream from their original recipe, and it was a definite hit with Robert and Brenna. This is how I baked these beauties...


  
 
Baked Egg Boats

2 ciabatta loaves
6 eggs
1/3 cup milk
4 ounces pancetta, chopped and fried until crispy
3 ounces grated Gruyere cheese
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1/2 tablespoon Mrs. Dash Original seasoning (I use this in practically everything!)
Fresh ground sea salt and pepper to taste

1) Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2) Cut a deep “V” in the tops of each loaf until about 1/2 inch from the bottom. Hollow out the loaves as much as you can. Set aside.
3) Lightly beat together the eggs and milk in a bowl. Whisk in the remaining ingredients and lightly season with salt and pepper.
4) Divide and pour the mixture into each loaf boat. Carefully place them onto the lined baking sheet.
5) Bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until golden brown, puffed and set in the center.
6) Cool for 5 minutes, slice and serve.


We enjoyed steaming hot coffee with a fresh fruit salad to accompany this flavorful journey. The ciabatta boat was crusty, filled with a smoky rich blend of the Gruyere and panchetta. What a way to sail into a Sunday morning... xoxo-Sonya

You May Also Like

0 comments


© 2021 Sonya Marie Fitzmaurice - A little something ®. All Rights Reserved.