Tapas anyone?

by - Friday, August 03, 2012

After cooking up a storm for my daughter's graduation party, all the subsequent summer meals and seemingly endless late night dinners, it was definitely time for me to mix it up again. I admit I get bored very easily with food. Instead of resorting to my usual formula when entertaining guests - two apps to start, major dinner entree and some tasty ending sweets - let's go rogue! Let's enjoy tapas! A little bit of this, a little bit of that, some light wine and rich conversation in the company of great friends on a balmy Saturday night. Since it rained earlier in the evening, forget about sitting outside on the deck. We wound up cozy in the kitchen, relaxed with a table of bite sized goodies... My kind of noshing on a hot summer night.
The word "tapas" is derived from the Spanish verb tapar, "to cover". Yep, sounds about right... cover the table with food! Tapas are snacks, canapes or finger food that originated in Spain. Tapas come in many different forms and can vary from town to town. Want to see what I prepared for the menu here in River Vale? Pictures speak a thousand words..
Tuscany Sandwiches and sliced Santa Maria London Broil
I came up with these Tuscany Sandwiches after my husband made a few requests and suggestions (plus, I had some extra goodies in the fridge to use up!) Toasted herb focaccia slices with mozzarella, eggplant, roasted red peppers and yellow squash sauteed with fresh basil and garlic
Santa Maria is a Cuban marinate for steak I came across in Parade Magazine one Sunday. It is supposed to be Zac Efron's recipe... Salsa, pickle juice, (yes, pickle juice!), a touch of tomato-based barbecue sauce and dry mustard. Marinate the meat for a day and the steak melts in your mouth!
My famous Mini Crab-cakes with a horseradish dip
Classic Caesar Salad, always a pleaser
I also prepared a wonderful virgin olive oil with ground sea salt, pepper, fresh chopped basil leaves and Italian herbs all for dipping with a warm baked olive bread and sliced mozzarella topped with basil leaves and cracked pepper
Sit long, talk much, laugh often, eat well... and we certainly did, enjoying the rainy night with friends, sharing this hearty table spread
Tapas anyone? xoxo-Sonya

You May Also Like

0 comments


© 2021 Sonya Marie Fitzmaurice - A little something ®. All Rights Reserved.