Snap, crackle, pop...

by - Saturday, July 07, 2012

Broken Belleek cross as the focal
My husband has donned this my "mosaic period". Okay, okay, while we had the backyard patio redone adding a natural flagstone walkway to the front, I was busy finishing a few projects to add some decor to the revitalized backyard space. We needed a side table for practicality purposes between the second-chance wicker chairs I set outside from the family room... and then I simply wanted to use up more broken china and left-over bathroom tiles to construct two pretty plaques. While the table was made of a broken accent table top and black wire planter base, the plaques required simple planks of wood, one actually an older cutting board.
With an old cutting board as a base, I snapped some already cracked tile pieces so they could fit my planned image. To emphasize the word, I used a combo of light grout around the word framed with dark grout around to the edges.
To get the grout into all the nooks and crannies, I had to use gloved fingers pressing it in. A very messy job indeed, but somebody has got to do it!
Relax... now that I finished the grout on this piece! Terracotta patterned pieces and bits from green dinner plates are the pop background for Relax which will sit on the siding of the house once it's dry and polished.

The perimeter of broken dinner plates, the center and surrounding are bathroom tiles. Using light grout for the whole top and dark grout around the outer edge matching the black metal base.
All it took was a bit of snap, crackle and pop... to enjoy afternoon lemonade in the renewed space out back so we can relax and recharge for the rest of this summer's pleasures... xoxo-Sonya

You May Also Like

0 comments


© 2021 Sonya Marie Fitzmaurice - A little something ®. All Rights Reserved.